Minor character flaws…
1. “Those people in North Preston need to stop thinking the government owes them a living. They get everything already – free bus passes, free prescription drugs, welfare – and yet they still run around acting like gang-bangers and ho’s. The Blacks in Halifax have always been like that.”
2. Q: Why are you accessing the shelter?
A: My parents kicked me out.
Q: Did they give you a reason?
A: Well, it wasn’t both my parents. It was my dad. He kicked me out. My mom said I could stay.
Q: Why did he kick you out?
A: I told my mom that I was gay, and she told him.
3. “I don’t know what I’d do if my son was gay. I’d probably shoot myself.”
4. “Of course we raped her! Did you see the way she was acting at the party? She was acting like a total slut. She was flirting with like everyone in the room. You could tell that she totally wanted it.”
5. When he’s sober, he says his mind is like a 3-D horror movie of childhood memories. He said his preferred method was to down a mickey in about two gulps. The fast liquor shots, he says, makes the beer last longer. He does, however, admit, that the shit-show that was his childhood never really goes away.
I passed him once – late last summer – where he usually panhandles – and he was flat on his back in the middle of the sidewalk. It was pure alcohol coma.
The paramedics were just arriving and I stayed with Jimmy until they could get him into the ambulance.
At one point, when they were first getting his vitals, he smiled weakly at me and said, “for a minute there, I had forgotten everything.”