Skip to content

political corruption – part 2

October 26, 2011

Okay, so as soon as I write what I thought was a good insight linking the pardoning of Nixon to the current corrupt state of affairs in American politics (I had just watched Frost/Nixon), I turn on DemocracyNow.org this morning and watch an interview with Glenn Greenwald discussing his new book “With Liberty and Justice for Some: How the Law is Used to Destroy Equality and Protect the Powerful” – an interview in which he states that once Gerald Ford pardoned Richard Nixon, it was clear that the elite would not be punished for their crimes in America, and from then on, Democracy in America would be a fool’s game.

2500 people have so far been arrested in the “Occupy Somewhere” movement in America. No one has yet – nor ever will be – arrested for the 2008 financial scandal that has rocked the world all the way back to the days of the Great Depression.

President Obama proclaimed this week that he is sticking to the agreement with Iraq, and is pulling out all (most) American troops by the end of the year. (Although thousands will stay under civilian-military contracts.)

“What a guy” we all thought to ourselves when he made the announcement. “Finally, the men and women are coming home.”

…it turns out that Obama tried everything he could do to cajole the Iraqis to allow the troops to stay. But he demanded that all American troops would be forever exempt from any criminal charges arising from any criminal behaviour they might do, be it alleged or real. Not surprisingly, Iraq politely told Obama to go to hell and honour the deal they had made for troop withdrawal with George Bush.

President Obama is also demanding… by the way …that every state Attorney General in the country sign an agreement that no bank will be charged for any criminal behaviour they might have done to cause the mess we are in, nor would they be charged for anything they might do in the future.

Obama wants to give the financial elite carte blanche to do basically whatever they like to line their pockets. This on the same day that a bi-partisan Congressional Report in Washington noted that the top incomes in America went up 350% over the last 30 years, while the middle class only went up 40%, and the rest actually went down (in real dollars). And that the top 20% have more income than the other 80% combined.

(Now do you wonder why Wall Street got a $7 Billion Dollar Bailout, when the rest of the country was sent to the shitter?)

New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman refuses to sign the agreement. Vermont has also refused.

For the 20th straight year, the UN passed a resolution condemning the continued American economic embargo of Cuba. The vote was 186-2.

For the 20th straight year, only the United States and Israel opposed.

MasterCard, VISA, Bank of America, PayPal, Western Union, and others will not allow you to transfer money – your money – through your credit card or by money transfer – to support the WikiLeaks website. But they won’t let you.

This, in our so-called free-and-democratic market economy.

You will be blocked from using your credit card, from using your bank account, to spend your own money to support a cause of your choosing. Even the New York Times admits that WikiLeaks has exposed more government corruption in the last year, than they could over the next fifty.

Yet, I have seen no outrage at this in the mainstream media. The Obama administration asked these companies to collude in preventing people from the right to a free press and access to political information in a democratic society, and no one really even blinks.  

Where is the media outrage at this form of censorship? 

When the government and large corporations join together to choke the lifeblood out of WikiLeaks – a website dedicated to exposing the political lies and financial corruption of our times, the media falls mostly silent.

Their silence is deafening.  

 P.S. (On a related note):  China has blocked access to any website search that begins with the word “occupy” followed by a “place name”. (i.e. Occupy Wallstreet. Occupy London. Occupy Warsaw.) 

Thank God, we don’t live over there! Right?

Advertisements
One Comment leave one →
  1. Marcia Weiner permalink
    October 27, 2011 9:19 pm

    To see this all put together is so upsetting My naivety gene is being challenged. Thank you for doing this.

    Marcia Weiner

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: